Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Tuesday Morning

 
As I mentioned before, we are a little short on staff this time of year since our younger folks have gone back to school.  Therefore, I'll help out every morning by blowing around the Clubhouse and Hudson House and other areas that members frequent.  We take advantage of all the labor available, myself included.  5:00am is a great time around the Club...you see all kinds of things...bears carry trash and other nocturnal animals out for a stroll.  In front of the golf shop, there is this.  I would be lying if I told you that this doesn't nearly ruin my day every time I see it :)  It's all about the details.
 
 
I am often asked about this tree, the Kousa Kogwood.  This Dogwood is the cousin to the Flowering Dogwood, Cornus florida, and used as its replacement because it is not susceptible to the anthracnose blight that has killed off many Flowering Dogwoods.  Believe it or not, the fruit is edible.  I found this excerpt on a website:

 
"Although the fruit is pink to red, inside it is yellow to orange and has a taste people can’t agree on. Some say the texture similar to a pear or apricot. To me the pulp texture was like a ripe persimmon, the flavor like an apple. The tougher skin tasted like bitter peach. Usually it is eaten raw but can be cooked but doing so can destroy its delicate flavor. The fruit can also be made into jelly. As I said the skin can be tough and sometimes the fruit is bitter.  The young leaves are cooked and eaten by mountain people in Japan. I have not tried said, so be wary. Additionally, the fruit may have anti-tumor activity."
 
While that sounds delicious, I've tried it and find it rather disgusting.