If you recall, last week I posted a photo of damage to the far right side of our practice tee that was caused by the insect, Annual Bluegrass Weevil (ABW). ABW can be very destructive on Poa annua turf. Our practice tee is comprised of three different types of grass: Perennial Ryegrass, Annual Bluegrass and Creeping Bentgrass. My first thought was to re-grow this area by way of aerification and seeding. This time of year, that would take a while so I then moved on to thinking about sod. Today, we are stripping about 4,000 square feet of sod and replacing it with Zoysiagrass, specifically the variety Zeon. This is an experiment I've wanted to try again ever since we regrassed 1/2 of tee with Meyer Zoysia back in 2002. Zoysia is a much more durable turf that doesn't allow golfers to take a divot. This means it recovers very quickly. Again, the damaged turf will be removed today and tomorrow morning, 8 pallets of Zeon Zoysia will be on site Friday at 10:00AM.
