Friday, June 22, 2018

Aquatic Weed Management


Managing aquatic weeds is a challenging part of my job.  While most superintendents don't take this task on (rather contract it out), I chose to become licensed (by State of NC) in this area because it is more economical for the club and I can be more effective than someone who treats monthly.  If a body of water is not used for irrigation purposes, managing these weeds is simple.  However, the fact that our irrigation water is pulled from this lake, limits me on the types of herbicides I am able to use.  After all, just like turfgrass, aquatic weeds are also plants.  Whatever is applied to the lake, ends up being discharged onto the golf course by way of sprinkler heads.  Therefore, I treat small portions of the lake at a time using low rates of herbicides to eliminate the risk of damage to the turf.  Water quality is a large component of this as well and the products we use are environmentally friendly.  For the last 4-5 years, Bladderwort (terrible name) is the weed that has really challenged me.  It's been introduced from another source of water from upstream.  If you were to look at the lake today, the weed looks far worse than it is.  As we treat, portions of the plant break off and float which creates the less than desirable look.  Please know this weed is under control but I won't be too aggressive with its treatment for environmental and irrigation reasons. 
 
 
This is what healthy Bladderwort look like.