Sunday, January 31, 2016

Great Idea...




I am probably one of the more observant people you may ever know, mainly because I love learning new things. I feel it's one of my strengths, but my need for knowledge and trivia also leads to me asking a lot of questions. I have the ability to wear people down with my questions; my famous saying is, "no, I'm not writing a book, I'm on a need to know basis and I need to know this stuff."  Don't believe me, just ask the good folks building the pavilion.  In the last 2 months, I've learned just enough information about surveying, concrete, soil engineering, construction framing and foundation waterproofing to name a select few....just enough information to be dangerous. It kills me to hire a subcontractor and not have a basic understanding of what and how they are doing.   

Yesterday, on the way home from a round of golf in South Carolina, I stopped at a gas station and noticed a small pipe sticking out above a window box. Curiosity got the best of me.  I learned something new of course...pretty near idea I never saw before. Watering window boxes is difficult, particularly in mid to late summer when they become root bound and the soil is nearly water replant.  This solves that problem!  You pour water into the pipe where it fills roughly 5-6' of 1 inch pipe. Nylon strings are drilled into the pipe and wick water out of the pipe, making it available to the flowers growing in the box.  Who would have thought that a gas station in Highway 11 would provide me a new, great idea? This season, if you notice a small pvc pipe sticking out of our many window boxes, you will know why.